Amanda-Users

Client in DMZ - Howto revisited

2004-06-05 14:31:58
Subject: Client in DMZ - Howto revisited
From: John Bossert <jbossert AT affidian DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 11:21:43 -0700
Gentlemen (and Ladies,) I'm confused.

After perusing the list archives, Googling, etc., I'm still not clear on what's necessary to establish a backup across a firewall and/or to debug the process.

My firewall presently allow unfiltered egress from the Trusted segment (where the server lives) to the DMZ (where the subject client lives.) The literature suggests (to me) that the only communication initiated by the client is UDP and can be controlled with (from my .configure):

--with-udpportrange=850,859

I've modified the firewall ruleset to allow the client to send udp packets through ports 850-859, but I'm still getting timeouts along the lines of:

FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
persephone /dev/md/rdsk/d3 lev 0 FAILED [Estimate timeout from persephone] persephone /dev/md/rdsk/d2 lev 0 FAILED [Estimate timeout from persephone] persephone /dev/md/rdsk/d0 lev 0 FAILED [Estimate timeout from persephone]

The amandad.debug files on the client (persephone) don't give me any insights.

What am I missing?  Thanks all,

-john