Amanda-Users

Re: "Incremental tape too low" when using amrestore

2004-04-21 08:09:40
Subject: Re: "Incremental tape too low" when using amrestore
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Hans van Zijst <hzi AT syncera DOT nl>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:06:53 +0200
Hans van Zijst wrote:

"Restore can get confused when doing incremental restores from dumps that were made on active file systems."

Of course I make backups of active file systems. If this really is the problem, I can't imagine I'm the only one who ran into it. Or am I just the only one who's ever tested a bare metal recovery? ;)

AFAIK, this wouldn't have the effect of the message "Incremental dump too low". Because dump dumps the diskblocks themselves, an active
filesystem could screw up the dumpprocess itself.  The restore command
would get confused, but not about deciding which level it expects.

The restore process should leave a file "restoresymtable" in the root
directory to pass information between incremental restore passes.
Could it be that such a file was restored from the level 0,
overwriting the current one and indicating that a level 2 or more
was expected?

ps.  I switched to tar a long time ago, mainly because I run a mixed
environment and I need to be able to restore onto a completely different
architecture.