Amanda-Users

"Incremental tape too low" when using amrestore

2004-04-21 05:33:50
Subject: "Incremental tape too low" when using amrestore
From: Hans van Zijst <hzi AT syncera DOT nl>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:31:39 +0200
I tried a bare metal recovery yesterday, but without the success I had hoped
for. I restored the latest level 0 dump and then tried to restore the
incremental dump over it. First step worked like a charm, but as soon as I
restored the incremental tape, I got the error:

"restore: Incremental tape too low"

Amdump uses "dump" to make dumps, so I use "restore" to put them back.
Here's what I did. First, I checked which tapes I needed:

amadmin Dagelijks info xxxxxxx /

"Dagelijks" is my daily set, incremental. Amanda gave me the following list:

-----
Current info for xxxxxxx.xxxxxxx.xx /:
  Stats: dump rates (kps), Full:  7283.0, 2961.0,  -1.0
                    Incremental:  2635.0, 2577.0, 2358.0
          compressed size, Full: -100.0%,-100.0%,-100.0%
                    Incremental: -100.0%,-100.0%,-100.0%
  Dumps: lev datestmp  tape             file   origK   compK secs
          0  20040416  Dagtape-04         22 1318285 2636570  362
          1  20040421  Dagtape-02         19   67215  134430   51
-----

(I replayed yesterday's scenario today, so the dates are rather recent)
First question: do I get it right if I draw the conclusion that I need to
restore "Dagtape-04" first (being the level 0 dump) and "Dagtape-02" after
that?

I thought I did, so I inserted "Dagtape-04", booted the machine to be
restored off a Knoppix CD, made the partition to which I wanted to restore
pristine (love that word!), cd'ed into it and ran:

amrestore -p /dev/nst0 xxxxxxx /" | restore rf -

over SSH. So far, so good: everything gets restored nicely. Now for the
incremental. I inserted "Dagtape-02" and ran the same amrestore command. As
soon as restore gets to the incremental image Amanda feeds it, it says:

restore: Incremental tape too low

According to restore's manual, this is the way to do a restore and since
Amanda doesn't complain, I assume it's me who does something wrong. For
what I understand, "Dagtape-02" (made only tonight) is the latest
incremental tape there is, so how can restore complain that it's too low a
level?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Hans

 This message has been checked for all known viruses
 De informatie verzonden met dit e-mailbericht is
 uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde.
 Openbaarmaking, vermenigvuldiging, verspreiding en/of
 verstrekking van deze informatie aan derden is
 niet toegestaan. Wij aanvaarden geen aansprakelijkheid
 voor de juiste en volledige overbrenging van de inhoud
 van een verzonden e-mail bericht, noch voor tijdige
 ontvangst ervan.

              HTTP://WWW.Syncera.NL