Amanda-Users

Re: amoverview; history database

2004-03-29 06:06:26
Subject: Re: amoverview; history database
From: "Urs Forster" <forster AT bluemail DOT ch>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 12:49:45 +0200

>On Thursday 25 March 2004 10:57, Urs Forster wrote:
>>Hi
>>
>>>From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
>>>Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 09:58:16 -0500

>>>Good question perhaps.  Here, its quite wide, but the dates
>>> coincide with the number of tapes in my tapecycle of 28.  That
>>> seems to be a reasonable display.  What is your tapecycle set to?
>>
>>I think thats the point. Now it's 5, but it used to be that high!
>>Somwhere amanda remembers the higher number, but where?
>>
>If you changed it in one swell foop, that which would have been
>bypassed is still there, it only deletes that which references the
>tape(s) just re-written.  I don't think there is a problem in that
>case of you going into the index and currinfo dirs and doing a bit of
>obviously overdue housekeeping.

Ok, I deletet all indexes, all curinfo, removed all extra tapes from
changer.conf,
ran amrmtape, amtape update, amcheckdb and I found out what fell swoop means
(rather than swell foop; that was the harder part ;-). Despite all of those,
amoverview still shows around 90 days across.

Any more ideas?

>But why down to 5?  One really should have a tapecycle thats at least
>2*runtapes*runspercycle in order to have at least the 2 most recent
>full backups on hand at any one time.  Anything less and you're
>playing russian roulette with a Morgolin Target Pistol as far as your
>data's safety is concerned...  YMMV of course. :)

I'm doing backup to disk (tapeless). In order to fit the largest filesystem
I had to define the 'tape'-size to be around 3 Gb. Now, amanda seems to be
a bit greedy - meaning it tries to fill every tape (by promoting full dumps).
Since all 'tapes' lie on the same disk, I ran into space problems. Therefore
I had to go back to 5! (until I can overcome the diskspace-shortage).

Could one prevent amanda from promoting fulldumps? (like only one fulldump
in a cycle, even thoug the tape is nearly emtpy?

Cheers
Urs

>>>As far as purging old history in the indexes and such, amanda does
>>>that automaticly, removing that which would refer to what was on a
>>>tape that has been re-written, therefore rendering that data moot.

Bitte keine Antwort an diese Mailadresse. Wird nicht gelesen.

Don't reply to this address.