Amanda-Users

Re: amoverview; history database

2004-03-25 19:36:13
Subject: Re: amoverview; history database
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 19:27:16 -0500
On Thursday 25 March 2004 10:57, Urs Forster wrote:
>Hi
>
>>From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
>>Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 09:58:16 -0500
>>
>>On Thursday 25 March 2004 08:14, Urs Forster wrote:
>>>Hi
>>>
>>>When using amoverview I get a wide output (more than 3 month).
>>>This is not readable and anyway the data is obsolete, I only work
>>> on a cycle of 5 days.
>>>
>>>How can I purge old data from the history?
>>>
>>>Cheers
>>>Urs
>>
>>Good question perhaps.  Here, its quite wide, but the dates
>> coincide with the number of tapes in my tapecycle of 28.  That
>> seems to be a reasonable display.  What is your tapecycle set to?
>
>I think thats the point. Now it's 5, but it used to be that high!
>Somwhere amanda remembers the higher number, but where?

If you changed it in one swell foop, that which would have been
bypassed is still there, it only deletes that which references the
tape(s) just re-written.  I don't think there is a problem in that
case of you going into the index and currinfo dirs and doing a bit of
obviously overdue housekeeping.

But why down to 5?  One really should have a tapecycle thats at least
2*runtapes*runspercycle in order to have at least the 2 most recent
full backups on hand at any one time.  Anything less and you're
playing russian roulette with a Morgolin Target Pistol as far as your
data's safety is concerned...  YMMV of course. :)

>>As far as purging old history in the indexes and such, amanda does
>>that automaticly, removing that which would refer to what was on a
>>tape that has been re-written, therefore rendering that data moot.
>>
>>--
>>Cheers, Gene
>>"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
>> soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order."
>>-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
>>99.22% setiathome rank, not too shabby for a WV hillbilly
>>Yahoo.com attornies please note, additions to this message
>>by Gene Heskett are:
>>Copyright 2004 by Maurice Eugene Heskett, all rights reserved.
>
>Bitte keine Antwort an diese Mailadresse. Wird nicht gelesen.
>
>Don't reply to this address.

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
by Gene Heskett are: