Amanda-Users

Re: excluding while backing up Windows box

2004-03-17 16:14:09
Subject: Re: excluding while backing up Windows box
From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 22:09:18 +0100

Then Joshua wrote:

JBL> No.  From docs/SAMBA:

JBL> Smbclient only supports excluding a single file from the command line,
JBL> not a file of patterns like GNU tar.  So "exclude" is supported from a
JBL> dumptype but not "exclude list".

JBL> If you need multiple excludes, you may want to try to get amanda working
JBL> under cygwin on the 'doze box itself.

Someone has compared this approach to installing Windows on your
Unix-box to backup the files on it ...

This is still one of the major disadvantages in using Samba with
AMANDA.

(There seem to be loads of files on a MS-box that noone wants to back
up.)

The main obstacle in the current way of doing things is the lack of
support for multiple excludes in the smbclient-binary, that is used by
AMANDA to dump Windows-shares.

I have repeatedly (is that english really ...?) posted questions about
this on the samba-list without replies.

I will put this on my todo-list and contact one of the
Samba-developers, as I am in loose contact with at least one of them.

--
best regards,
Stefan

Stefan G. Weichinger