Amanda-Users

Re: hybrid theory

2004-03-08 18:17:49
Subject: Re: hybrid theory
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 18:14:05 -0500
On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 05:35:21PM -0500, Jonathan Dill wrote:
> Is anyone successfully using a mixed strategy of backups to both disk
> and tape?  In particular, I have a 1 TB Snap 4500 and an LTO tape
> drive.  I have thought about a few different ways to go about it, but
> would appreciate suggestions from someone who has tried this approach.
> The Snap also has built-in snapshot capability, and I wondered if there
> was a way to make use of that in combination with backups to disk.
>
> 1. "normal" amanda backup to holding disk, flush when disk is getting full
> 2. do full dumps to tape "out of cycle" and incrementals to disk with
> file-driver
> 3. #2 but also use snapshot technology to keep an even longer history of
> incrementals
> 4. use file-driver, and occasionally archive some of the tape-files to
> real tape
>
> Any other ideas?

Set up normal backups to tape, probably already done.
Set up the file:driver to use the Snap server
Set up the RAIT driver to mirror the backups to two devices,
one the file:driver the other the LTO.
Use the LTO for longterm storage, the Snap server for
immediate availability of backups for recovery.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)