Amanda-Users

hybrid theory

2004-03-08 17:32:13
Subject: hybrid theory
From: Jonathan Dill <jfdill AT jfdill DOT com>
To: amanda users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 17:35:21 -0500
Is anyone successfully using a mixed strategy of backups to both disk and tape? In particular, I have a 1 TB Snap 4500 and an LTO tape drive. I have thought about a few different ways to go about it, but would appreciate suggestions from someone who has tried this approach. The Snap also has built-in snapshot capability, and I wondered if there was a way to make use of that in combination with backups to disk.

1. "normal" amanda backup to holding disk, flush when disk is getting full
2. do full dumps to tape "out of cycle" and incrementals to disk with file-driver 3. #2 but also use snapshot technology to keep an even longer history of incrementals 4. use file-driver, and occasionally archive some of the tape-files to real tape

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
--jonathan