Amanda-Users

Re: chunksize

2003-10-24 06:55:07
Subject: Re: chunksize
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Paul Yeatman <pyeatman AT ucsd DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 06:52:18 -0400
On Friday 24 October 2003 00:06, Paul Yeatman wrote:
>> Chunksize was originally a workaround for some filesystems file
>> size limitations.  When in use, the ONLY place it effects is the
>> holding disk by breaking up a huge 30 gig total filesystem into
>> files that it can handle in say, 2 gig hunks.  These files are
>> merged into one big file on the tape itself, and all chunks must
>> be completed for a given filesystem before the transfer to the
>> tape begins.  And all chunks must have been written to the tape
>> before any chunks are deleted from the holding disk.
>
>Thanks for the reply.  Is there any such setting then that would
>perform what I was once was lead to believe chunksize could control,
>ie. specifying a file size over which a backup file should be
> written directly to tape, bypassing the holding disk?

About the only control that would do that, would be to set the
reserved percentage to something that doesn't leave enough working
room.  Those disklist entries whose size exceeds the usable space
will I think, then go straight to the tape.

Or at least thats how I understand it.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: