Amanda-Users

Re: chunksize

2003-10-24 00:25:06
Subject: Re: chunksize
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Paul Yeatman <pyeatman AT ucsd DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 23:22:32 -0500
--On Thursday, October 23, 2003 21:06:36 -0700 Paul Yeatman <pyeatman AT ucsd
DOT edu> wrote:

>> Chunksize was originally a workaround for some filesystems file size
>> limitations.  When in use, the ONLY place it effects is the holding
>> disk by breaking up a huge 30 gig total filesystem into files that it
>> can handle in say, 2 gig hunks.  These files are merged into one big
>> file on the tape itself, and all chunks must be completed for a given
>> filesystem before the transfer to the tape begins.  And all chunks
>> must have been written to the tape before any chunks are deleted from
>> the holding disk.
>>

> Thanks for the reply.  Is there any such setting then that would
> perform what I was once was lead to believe chunksize could control,
> ie. specifying a file size over which a backup file should be written
> directly to tape, bypassing the holding disk?

For the filesystems you want to go directly to tape, use a dumptype
that specifies 'holdingdisk no'.
   I'm not sure why you would want to not use a holdingdisk (unless
you are using the FILE driver), it is generally more efficient to use
one.

Frank