Amanda-Users

Re: chunksize

2003-10-24 00:10:04
Subject: Re: chunksize
From: Paul Yeatman <pyeatman AT ucsd DOT edu>
To: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 21:06:36 -0700
> Chunksize was originally a workaround for some filesystems file size
> limitations.  When in use, the ONLY place it effects is the holding
> disk by breaking up a huge 30 gig total filesystem into files that it
> can handle in say, 2 gig hunks.  These files are merged into one big
> file on the tape itself, and all chunks must be completed for a given
> filesystem before the transfer to the tape begins.  And all chunks
> must have been written to the tape before any chunks are deleted from
> the holding disk.

Thanks for the reply.  Is there any such setting then that would
perform what I was once was lead to believe chunksize could control,
ie. specifying a file size over which a backup file should be written
directly to tape, bypassing the holding disk?

--
Paul Yeatman       (858) 534-9896        pyeatman AT ucsd DOT edu