Amanda-Users

Re: chunksize

2003-10-24 02:03:40
Subject: Re: chunksize
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: "Amanda user's group" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 01:58:32 -0400
On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 09:06:36PM -0700, Paul Yeatman wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.  Is there any such setting then that would
> perform what I was once was lead to believe chunksize could control,
> ie. specifying a file size over which a backup file should be written
> directly to tape, bypassing the holding disk?

I'm pretty sure the size of the holding disk already does this.

If the estimated size of the backup is larger than the holding disk
space it is taped directly.  For this determination I believe the
space available has already been reduced by the percentage specified
by the "reserve" parameter in amanda.conf and by the amount of
space the other currently running dumps will take.

BTW the "negative number" you thought applied to chunksize might have
been the holding disk size.  A positive number means use up to the
specified amount of space while a negative number means use all the
space on the disk except the specified amount.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)