Amanda-Users

Re: multiple ethernet cards

2003-10-09 17:20:40
Subject: Re: multiple ethernet cards
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Jonathan Swaby <jfs10 AT bnext.stucen.gatech DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 23:15:19 +0200
Jonathan Swaby wrote:
Is it possible to run two amanda jobs at the same time on different
ethernet cards. I have a machine that I am planning to use to backup
my Win2k users. The data will be backed up to one of two
partitions. Would it be possible to run Amanda jobs on different
ethernet cards that backup to different partitions? Some users will
back up to bk0 via eth0 and others will back up to bk1 via eth1. I am
asking the question because I thought that I had read some place that
you can ony run one Amanda job at a time. I was wondering if different
interfaces and backing up to HD might solve the problem.

Normally there can be only one amanda client active, because
there is only one program listening on port 10080.
But you can recompile a second set of amanda programs that
listens on another set of service ports that do not confict
with eachother:

   ./configure --prefix=... --with-testing=tst

and then define a second set of services in /etc/service
with the suffix "tst":

    amanda-tst    10090/udp
    kamanda-tst   10091/udp

The feature was designed to be able to test amanda without
interfering with the production run, but you could just as
well give it a meaning ful name in your context, like
--with-testing=eth1, listening on service amanda-eth1.

Then the amanda on host bk0, compiled with standard settings
communicates to clients listening on port 10080, and
host bk1, compiled with --with-testing=eth1 backs up to possibly
the same clients but using programs listening on port 10090.
Each client needs both set of programs installed, in a different
directory.

This all said, I still don't understand why you want to do this
actually.

--
Paul