Amanda-Users

Re: Samba and special characters in filenames

2003-10-09 17:45:23
Subject: Re: Samba and special characters in filenames
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Matthew Claridge <mclaridge AT rwa-net.co DOT uk>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 23:40:24 +0200
Matthew Claridge wrote:
I'm having a problem with amanda backing up files across a samba share when they contain certain special characters (namely german umlauts, french accents, some apostrophes, that kind of thing).

If I use tar natively across the mounted share, it converts these characters into their unicode equivalents, but when amdump runs, it reports " (Called name not present) NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND"

Is this a limitation of amanda, or is there something I can change in the configuration that will allow this to work?

This is what I wrote some time ago:
===
> ? NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND listing \profil\Application Data\Microsoft\Macros complémentaires\*
    ...etc...

The above msgs have to do with the codepage setting of your
samba.  I still haven't figured out the exact details, but
tweeking the smb.conf file helps.
I had to add:

  character set = ISO8859-1

to the global section.
This solved that problem for win2000 and WinNT4 systems, but
it introduced the problem to Win9x.  That was a long time
ago; and we have no Win9x anymore in your disklist.
===

See also:

http://www.mail-archive.com/amanda-users AT amanda DOT org/msg20577.htm

Samba 3 is out now, and has a complete rewritten support for unicode
characters in filenames etc.  Maybe thre is decent solution following
that path.  I did not yet have the time to try it out.

--
Paul