Amanda-Users

Re: lbl_templ set but no printer defined

2003-10-07 11:33:21
Subject: Re: lbl_templ set but no printer defined
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Bradley Glonka <bglonka AT sofanou-inc DOT com>, AMANDA Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 16:51:30 +0200
Bradley Glonka wrote:

I read that I should turn it off, but Dell has no answer
For me on how to do so.  The guys I talked to thought I
Was crazy and they had never heard of such a request.
This tape drive is supposed to have some "intelliget"
Sensors to determine if it should turn compression on or
Off.

The main reason why hardware compression should be off,
is because most tapedrives blindly apply the compression
algorithm to any data.  It is a know fact that this INcreases
already compressed data.

However, recently we found out (by using amtapetype)
that some recent LTO drives have some more intelligence
built into them, and detect when or when not to do hardware
compression.  The result is that even if you feed it already
compressed data, the capacity on tape is optimally used,
even with hardware compression.

You could even argue that in this case you better have hardware
compression on, so that you can have some DLE using software
compression (to lower the network bandwith) and mix with some
other DLE's without software compression (to avoid the cpu-load).
You can have the cake and eat it too.

 - Turn off compression
 - Get a more accurate tapetype definition?

amtapetype -e 100g

is still the best way to get your tapetype.