Amanda-Users

Re: Windows XP and cygwin problem ! (Addition)

2003-10-06 09:51:08
Subject: Re: Windows XP and cygwin problem ! (Addition)
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: franz.skale AT cubit DOT at
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 15:46:51 +0200
Franz Skale wrote:

But if i use client compression, it should happen on the client, and then the zipped image should be sent to the amanda server, or am i
wrong ? The tar command is piped to gzip on the client. What's the

The gzip command runs in a pipe; it reads some data, and outputs only
when it's output buffer is full; because that output buffer is not
synchronized with the input (it's usually much smaller), some data
is still in the buffers on the client side (client side compression),
or server side (server side compression), resulting in your backup
image not being complete.

When you leave out compression, this buffering is left out, and
the last bytes from the client are received on the server, and put
on disk but the TCP connection is not gracefully closed by the client, signalling end of transmission.
I'm not completely sure about the last bytes in the buffer; maybe it
just contains the trailer bytes from gnutar, which may be lost anyway
without invalidating the backup image.
The backup is on disk, but amanda still gives the error message about
one end resetting the connection ungracefully.

server waiting for ? The sendsize works well, the runtar works well,
but the sendbackup fails if the client compr. is enabled. That's not

sendsize uses UDP, and does not rely on one end closing the connection.

clear to me at all. What happens on the sendback command ? Perhaps
you or anyone else has a solution. My network is not the cause of the
problem. I have a switched environment and can use the whole bandwith
on it.

Just my 0.02€... I did not analyze/reproduce the problem.
A decent explanation of the "Connection reset by peer" error message
would explain a lot, I think.

Does it happen with a very small share too? That's much easier to follow using a tcp-sniffer.