Amanda-Users

Re: cross-platform restore

2003-10-06 12:19:23
Subject: Re: cross-platform restore
From: jurvis lasalle <lasalle AT bard DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 12:13:07 -0400
On Monday, Oct 6, 2003, at 04:38 America/New_York, Paul Bijnens wrote:

I have a mixed Linux/Intel Solaris/Sparc environment. The tape drive resides on the sparc box. Will I be able to restore dumps to the Linux box using amrestore?

Yes, if you run amrestore on the Linux box.

Be aware that if you made your backups with ufsdump on Solaris,
then you can indeed read the bytes off the tape under Linux, but
you can't do much more.  That's why I use GNUtar for my backups,
so that I can cross-restores to Linux / Solaris (or even MS Windows).

You can of course migrate the amanda tapeserver from Solaris to Linux
and still be able to restore ufsdump-ed backups from Solaris on a
Solaris client machine (even the former amanda server).

This is what I've been most concerned about.  Originally, I tried using

tapelesslinuxbox> setenv RSH ssh
tapelesslinuxbox> sudo dump -0uf remotesolaristapehost:/dev/rmt/0cn /usr

where I had set up ssh keys between the two boxes root accounts. This dumped fine (I believe), but I couldn't restore from (and verify) it because Solaris couldn't read the linux dump. Without removing the tape drive from the Solaris box, how can I restore the dump to the Linux box? Do I need to use Amanda/amrestore for this part?

Still appreciating your responses,
Jurvis LaSalle

ps  If I should just gnutar it all and be rid of dump, knock twice...