Amanda-Users

Re: cross-platform restore

2003-10-06 15:00:03
Subject: Re: cross-platform restore
From: Gerhard den Hollander <gerhard AT fugro-jason DOT com>
To: jurvis lasalle <lasalle AT bard DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 20:07:21 +0200
* jurvis lasalle <lasalle AT bard DOT edu> (Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 12:13:07PM
-0400)

> tapelesslinuxbox> setenv RSH ssh
> tapelesslinuxbox> sudo dump -0uf remotesolaristapehost:/dev/rmt/0cn /usr

> ps  If I should just gnutar it all and be rid of dump, knock twice...

knock knock

Seriously, dump might work for you, but the possibility exists that if you
are backing up and active filesystem (and I guess we all are these days).
Dump can give you an inconsistent filesystem .

The other (big) benefit of using gnutar[1]  is that it indeed works
X-platform.

The occasional restore of selcted liux files I have to do, I suually do
with NFS
(that is, I use an nfs-mountpoint into the linux partition, and then run
amrestore on the NFS dir.

This can even work from a linxu boot CD on an empty disk (make sure to
partition and format before ahnd though ;) ..).

I've occaisonally restored a full linux box by installing a new disk,
installing a bic (very basic) linux system onto it (just enough to have a
filesystem and NFS) and the untar from a solaris box onto the NFS mounted
linux disks.

[1] Please use gnutar , not solaris tar.
   Esp. if you ever expect to encounter files > 8G in size.
   Solaris tar will simply ignore those files ...

Kind regards,
 --
Gerhard den Hollander                           Phone :+31-10.280.1515
ICT manager                                     Direct:+31-10.280.1539