Amanda-Users

RE: out of tape ??

2003-10-06 13:15:29
Subject: RE: out of tape ??
From: "Amanda Admin" <amanda AT denverdata DOT com>
To: "Tony" <td_miles AT yahoo DOT com>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 11:05:18 -0600
> The "mt" command is supposed to show compression state, but when
> I attempt this I get nothing. EG.
>
> [root] # /bin/mt -f /dev/st0 compression
> [root] # /bin/mt -f /dev/st0 compression on
> [root] # /bin/mt -f /dev/st0 compression
> [root] # /bin/mt -f /dev/st0 compression off
> [root] # /bin/mt -f /dev/st0 compression
> [root] #
>
> Note the absolute lack of any output after using the command,
> regardless of whether I try to turn compression on/off or just
> display compression status. The MAN file for mt says:

Tony,

I didn't see in your earlier postings what OS you're running, but I'm
guessing linux.

For my Redhat tape-server with HP DAT drives (1 DDS-2, 1 DDS-3) the mt
command is "mt -f /dev/st0 datcompression". Perhaps that is why you're not
getting any output from your mt commands when issuing only "compression"?

BTW, I didn't change my jumper settings either, but I added the following to
/etc/rc./local to ensure HW compression is off upon a reboot:

/bin/mt -f dev/st0 datcompression off
/bin/mt -f dev/st1 datcompression off

Doug