Amanda-Users

Re: Can't backup AIX4.3 client : missing results

2003-08-11 10:51:16
Subject: Re: Can't backup AIX4.3 client : missing results
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 10:40:07 -0400
On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 03:59:57PM +0200, Nicolas Ecarnot wrote:
> Selon Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>:
>
> > Likely I was unclear.
> > When I said "file" command I mean run a command called "file".
>
> Sorry I mistyped, but I understood how to use the 'file' command.
> The resulting message is a french answer telling me this is a bunch of bytes.
> No more information.
>
> > The marked section 'may' tell you what application core dumped.
> > I'm not sure whether AIX does or not.
>
> Not.

Bummer.

> > Then we may be able to focus on some thing specific.
>
> The timestamp ensures that this is created by amanda.
> What program did it ? amandad ?

I've no idea, but sometimes the debug files report the errors
of their children as the various messages "segmentation violation",
"memory fault", ...  You might grep for "core dumped" or those
other messages.  That might find the parent of the core file.

Another approach to identifying it is the debugger that comes
with your compiler.  For example, I've used gcc and gdb tells me:

  $ gdb -c core
  GNU gdb 5.0
  Core was generated by `timidity -s 65000 ...
  Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation Fault.
  #0  0x805ed09 in ?? ()
  (gdb) quit
  $

To simplify things I'd suggest changing the disklist on the amanda
server so that only one DLE on the AIX client is uncommented.  You
will have many fewer debug files to contend with.

Also, the debug files list the commands they start, arguments included.
You could run each by hand and see if you note a core dump.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)