Amanda-Users

Re: long estimate and run times

2003-06-20 08:54:03
Subject: Re: long estimate and run times
From: Jason Edgecombe <jedgecombe AT carolina.rr DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 08:49:20 -0400
Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 at 3:23pm, Jason Edgecombe wrote

I'm trying to figure out why may backups and estimages take so long. I have a dual-processor machine with 4GB RAM. / and /boot are two software RAID1 drives and /home is a RAID5 hardware drive. My tape drive is an Overland Neo2000 LTO2 with 30 tape library.

I am using a 200GB holding disk on an isolated drive dedicated to amanda.

The estimate phase on localhost (my backup server) took two hours. I watched the tar process and it took anywhere from 5-30% of the cpu

Look in /tmp/amanda/sendsize*debug on that system. It'll have timestamped info on each estimate (probably level 0s and level 1s for each fs). Figure out which one is taking so long. Any errors in the system logs? What type of hardware RAID? What OS, and what types of FSs?

Can the estimate phase of amanda be bypassed or disabled?

If so, what are the implications?

Jason Edgecombe