Amanda-Users

Re: no more holding disk space

2003-06-16 02:56:23
Subject: Re: no more holding disk space
From: Markus Dohmann <dohmann AT sdac.hannover.bgr DOT de>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 08:53:50 +0200 (MET DST)

<dohmann AT sdac.hannover.bgr DOT de> wrote:

> >> reserve 50 # percent

> >> You're reserving half of your holding disk for incrementals, leaving
> >> half (~15GB) for fulls in degraded mode.  I would guess that after
> >> one filesystem is dumped to disk there isn't room for a second (you
> >> didn't say how big your directories are).
> >

> > Those are some of my initial thoughts too.  How big are these things?
> >
> > However, on reflection, IIRC, shouldn't "insufficient holding space"
> > merely force direct to tape backups, not failed backups?
> >
> > So my question is, you say the first DLE is making it to the holding
> > disk, does that one ever make it to tape?  Maybe a failure to do
> > taping is your real problem.
>
> His question was about degraded mode (I missed it myself the first
> time through), so there wouldn't be a tape to write to.
>
> Frank

Hi,

you are right, there was no tape inserted just to test the holding disk
confiugration.

The capacity of the directories is
b3sn30:/etc             7 mb
b3sn16:/home/b3sn16   670 mb
b3sn16:/home2/b3sn16  800 mb
b3sn30:/disk18/b3sn30  10 mb
b3sn20:/etc             3 mb
b3sn30:/disk21/b3sn30   1 mb

Amanda makes a level 1 dump of b3sn30:/etc (14 kb) and tried a level 0 dump
of b3sn16:/home/b3sn16 (670 mb). I think it should be feasible to dump these
backups to the holding disk. I'm a little bit confused, I thought Amanda will
first dump the smallest backups and the bigger corresponding to the dumporder
in
amanda.conf.

Markus