Amanda-Users

Re: no more holding disk space

2003-06-13 11:19:32
Subject: Re: no more holding disk space
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 10:48:15 -0400
On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 09:12:29AM -0500, Frank Smith wrote:

> --On Friday, June 13, 2003 12:24:45 +0200 Markus Dohmann <dohmann AT
> sdac.hannover.bgr DOT de> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm using Amanda 2.5 on Solaris 8 and Amanda has a problem with the
> > degraded
> > mode. Only one filesystem is dumped to the holding disk, all other dumps
> > fail.
> > The capacity of the holding disk is about 30GB and amcheck reports no
> > problems.
> >
> > Amanda reports in the status e-mail:
> >
> > FAILURE AND STRANGE DUMP SUMMARY:
> >   b3sn16     /home/b3sn16 lev 0 FAILED [no more holding disk space]
> >   b3sn16     /home2/b3sn16 lev 0 FAILED [no more holding disk space]
> >   b3sn30     /disk18/b3sn30 lev 0 FAILED [no more holding disk space]
> >   b3sn20     /etc lev 0 FAILED [no more holding disk space]
> >   b3sn30     /disk21/b3sn30 lev 0 FAILED [no more holding disk space]
> >   .
> >   .
> >   .
> >
> > In the attachment the config file for Amanda.
>
> >From your config:
> reserve 50 # percent
>

> > Could someone please give me a hint?
>
> You're reserving half of your holding disk for incrementals, leaving
> half (~15GB) for fulls in degraded mode.  I would guess that after
> one filesystem is dumped to disk there isn't room for a second (you
> didn't say how big your directories are).

Those are some of my initial thoughts too.  How big are these things?

However, on reflection, IIRC, shouldn't "insufficient holding space"
merely force direct to tape backups, not failed backups?

So my question is, you say the first DLE is making it to the holding
disk, does that one ever make it to tape?  Maybe a failure to do
taping is your real problem.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)