Amanda-Users

Re: no more holding disk space

2003-06-16 03:25:56
Subject: Re: no more holding disk space
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 03:22:54 -0400
On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 08:53:50AM +0200, Markus Dohmann wrote:

> > His question was about degraded mode (I missed it myself the first
> > time through), so there wouldn't be a tape to write to.
> >
> > Frank
>
> Hi,
>
> you are right, there was no tape inserted just to test the holding disk
> confiugration.
>
> The capacity of the directories is
> b3sn30:/etc             7 mb
> b3sn16:/home/b3sn16   670 mb
> b3sn16:/home2/b3sn16  800 mb
> b3sn30:/disk18/b3sn30  10 mb
> b3sn20:/etc             3 mb
> b3sn30:/disk21/b3sn30   1 mb
>

> Amanda makes a level 1 dump of b3sn30:/etc (14 kb) and tried a level 0 dump
> of b3sn16:/home/b3sn16 (670 mb). I think it should be feasible to dump these
> backups to the holding disk. I'm a little bit confused, I thought Amanda will
> first dump the smallest backups and the bigger corresponding to the dumporder
> in
> amanda.conf.

I presume that doesn't match the order in your dumporder?

Even so, it is not as simple as that.  You probably allow multiple dumpers.
As they individually finish they are used again for another DLE.  Other
considerations are only spindle restrictions (only one on the same spindle
at the same time), perhaps priority, perhaps number of simultaneous dumps
per host, ...

>From what you show, the 670 MB DLE on b3sn16 is the smallest on that host.

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)