Amanda-Users

Re: Recommandations for >600 GB?

2003-04-17 21:49:21
Subject: Re: Recommandations for >600 GB?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 20:10:26 -0400
On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 02:44:05PM -0700, Stephen Carville wrote:
> On Thursday April 17 2003 01:57 pm, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 08:00:32PM +0200, Moritz Both wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > who can recommend a configuration which allows us to regulary backup

> > > The 600 GByte is the total; we can split it into portions (or
> > > partitions) of about 200 GByte. Still, a single level 0 backup may not
> > > really fit on a 120 GByte DAT autoloader (6*20, where we already left
> > > out the cleaning tape) load. Splitting further will be complicated.
> > >
> > > The question is - which autoloader or configuration will do this best?
> > >
> > > Price *is* a criteria. Is DLT autoloader the way to go? Do folks still
> > > backup data of this size with DAT?
> > >
> > > Any hints are appreciated.
> >
> > Moritz, I'm guessing you did not read or fail to appreciate that amanda
> > never does a level 0 of everything at the same time.  If you do daily
> > backup runs, and want a weekly level 0 of all your data, amanda will
> > nominally backup 1/7 of your 600 GB each day.  Plus incrementals
> > of everything else.  Even if your data is not compressible, you should
> > have no trouble fitting the data onto a single magazine of 120GB.
>
> The first backup amanda does of a file system will be a level 0.  If he adds
> all the partitions or directories at once he will get a 600 GB backup.  On
> drives or libraries that cannot hold the entire level 0, I've had to start
> things out slowly and add a new file system or two each day.

Which is what I recommend anyone do.
Whether their backups fit on one tape or not.

Why try all at once to see if your tape and network and samba and ...
are all working at the same time?  Add one or two DLE's from the
tape host as a client, then one or two remote DLE's, then ...

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)