Amanda-Users

Re: Recommandations for >600 GB?

2003-04-17 18:46:17
Subject: Re: Recommandations for >600 GB?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 16:57:57 -0400
On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 08:00:32PM +0200, Moritz Both wrote:
> Hi,
>
> who can recommend a configuration which allows us to regulary backup
> >600 GByte with amanda on Linux?
>
> The 600 GByte is the total; we can split it into portions (or
> partitions) of about 200 GByte. Still, a single level 0 backup may not
> really fit on a 120 GByte DAT autoloader (6*20, where we already left
> out the cleaning tape) load. Splitting further will be complicated.
>
> The question is - which autoloader or configuration will do this best?
>
> Price *is* a criteria. Is DLT autoloader the way to go? Do folks still
> backup data of this size with DAT?
>
> Any hints are appreciated.

Moritz, I'm guessing you did not read or fail to appreciate that amanda
never does a level 0 of everything at the same time.  If you do daily
backup runs, and want a weekly level 0 of all your data, amanda will
nominally backup 1/7 of your 600 GB each day.  Plus incrementals
of everything else.  Even if your data is not compressible, you should
have no trouble fitting the data onto a single magazine of 120GB.

OTOH, if you mean to do a level 0 of everything, everytime you backup,
then "never mind".  Forget my comments.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)