Amanda-Users

Re: no printer defined

2003-04-17 10:58:15
Subject: Re: no printer defined
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-user AT planetofidiots DOT com
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 15:09:50 +0200
WR wrote:

I'm having trouble getting amanda to address a printer. I can print using

# amreport dailySet -l log.file.0 -f /dev/usb/lp0

You are root here.  So you have the permission to write into the device.
That is not the way amanda prints.
Amanda uses the "lpr" command to print to the printer. You have to set up the printing system first and use that printername (probably "820" from below.)

which produces the email-style report, but I'm trying to use the tapetype option to create labels after each dump:

lbl_templ "/path/to/3hole.ps"

(within the braces) while also defining the printer with

printer "/dev/usb/lp0"

This won't work! You need the printer name, not the device name.

(outside of the braces) which produces an error on amcheck claiming that the printer is undefined.

I've also tried

printer "lpr"
printer "820" # cups printer name

The last one should work (if indeed "820" is your printername).
Just verifying: your printer system can print postscript?

Try:  (as user amanda)

 $ amreport dailySet -l log.file.0 -f /tmp/mylabel.ps
 $ cat /tmp/mylabel.ps | lpr -P820

(the last command is much what amreport does internally).

PS. Do you really work for that company where you send mail from?  :-)