Amanda-Users

Re: Backups running over public holiday weekend?

2003-04-14 10:31:02
Subject: Re: Backups running over public holiday weekend?
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: AMANDA Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 09:00:08 -0400
On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 12:50:58PM +0200, Alexander JOLK wrote:
> > If backups have been stored in the holding disk for
> > Friday's and Monday's backups, would amflush try to flush the contents
> > to _one_ tape, or to two?
>
> Actually, when you run amflush, it asks you whether you want to flush
   [ snip ]

> Be aware though that amanda won't do full backups normally when she is
> forced to go to holding disk;

Huh?

My backup is in the holding disk from last evening (busy weekend, forgot
to change magazines).  Just checked the report, 8 of 27 DLE's got level 0's.
Looks pretty normal to me.  And it did also when I left for a week forgetting
to change magazines.

I think what you are thinking about is IF amanda has to go into degraded mode,
then it won't do level 0's.  However going to holding disk alone does not imply
degraded mode.  The available space on the holding disk must drop below the
"reserve" percentage or be insufficient to hold the level 0's.

Now if you never set the "reserve" parameter to something lower than the
default 100%, then you will go into degraded mode if there is no tape.  I'm
fortunate enough to have sufficient holding disk for several days normal
(mixed level 0's and higher) backups so I set my reserve low (20 or 30%).

jl
 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)