Amanda-Users

Re: Backups running over public holiday weekend?

2003-04-14 09:47:23
Subject: Re: Backups running over public holiday weekend?
From: Matt Hyclak <hyclak AT math.ohiou DOT edu>
To: AMANDA Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 08:00:47 -0400
On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 11:31:51AM +0100, Dave Ewart enlightened us:
> Dear all,
>
> I'd appreciate a little advice on this one - can't find anything
> pertinent in the FAQ or via the archives ...
>
> We started our Amanda backups in February with backups running every
> weekday evening.  I have a question about a possible 'problem'.  Since
> we started the backups, every single Monday to Friday has been a work
> day - we are approaching a 'holiday weekend': Friday 18.04.2003 and
> Monday 21.04.2003 are part of the Easter holiday weekend, here in the UK
> at least.  That means no-one will be here to load tapes on Friday or
> Monday.
>
> Is it possible to leave the backups to run at the their normal time and
> then flush to 'the tapes that would have been used' later?  I've done
> something similar when I ran a one-off archive backup when I knew that
> there would be no tape in the drive.  This was flushing to a single
> tape, however.  If backups have been stored in the holding disk for
> Friday's and Monday's backups, would amflush try to flush the contents
> to _one_ tape, or to two?
>
> I should add that there should be no problem with disk-space in the
> holding disk for the backups indicated above.
>
> Any comments/suggestions appreciated ...

amflush gives you a choice of dates to flush, so when you get back on
tuesday, stick "friday's" tape in, and flush friday's dumps. When it's done,
put "monday's" tape in, flush the rest, load up "tuesday's" tape and you
should be ready to go.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak