Amanda-Users

Re: Backups running over public holiday weekend?

2003-04-14 10:12:12
Subject: Re: Backups running over public holiday weekend?
From: Martin hepworth <martinh AT solid-state-logic DOT com>
To: Dave Ewart <Dave.Ewart AT cancer.org DOT uk>, "Amanda Users (E-mail)" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 13:32:25 +0100
Dave

yup - leave the backups running as normal.

When you run amflush it will ask for the backup to dump (or can select all - which the default I think...).

--
Martin Hepworth
Senior Systems Administrator

Dave Ewart wrote:
Dear all,

I'd appreciate a little advice on this one - can't find anything
pertinent in the FAQ or via the archives ...

We started our Amanda backups in February with backups running every
weekday evening.  I have a question about a possible 'problem'.  Since
we started the backups, every single Monday to Friday has been a work
day - we are approaching a 'holiday weekend': Friday 18.04.2003 and
Monday 21.04.2003 are part of the Easter holiday weekend, here in the UK
at least.  That means no-one will be here to load tapes on Friday or
Monday.

Is it possible to leave the backups to run at the their normal time and
then flush to 'the tapes that would have been used' later?  I've done
something similar when I ran a one-off archive backup when I knew that
there would be no tape in the drive.  This was flushing to a single
tape, however.  If backups have been stored in the holding disk for
Friday's and Monday's backups, would amflush try to flush the contents
to _one_ tape, or to two?

I should add that there should be no problem with disk-space in the
holding disk for the backups indicated above.

Any comments/suggestions appreciated ...

Thanks,

Dave.

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com