Amanda-Users

Re: Has anyone ever compressed real data that much???

2003-04-08 14:02:42
Subject: Re: Has anyone ever compressed real data that much???
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 12:43:23 -0400
On Tue April 8 2003 08:55, Toralf Lund wrote:
>A question a bit on the side:
>
>I've been looking for a new drive or autoloader, and I notice that
> some vendors now assume a hardware compression ratio of 2.6:1 in
> their advertising material. Which leads me to the question in the
> subject; has anyone ever compressed real data that much? Or even
> achieved a ratio of 2:1, which is also frequently assumed? (In
> conjunction with backups, that is.) The best I've done with
> Amanda is about 1.8:1, but that's for software compression, of
> course.

You should be able, for those files that are compressable, get a
higher compression ratio than that.  With half my system here not
being compressed at all, I still manage to get 2.5/1 overall on an
average nights run.  Humm, maybe I should note that recently I
haven't made that ratio, having grabbed all of debian (7 cd's)
recently & that extra 3.5 gigs of nearly uncompressable stuff plays
up the average & the system is still settling down.

I turn compression on and off in the disklist entry, and IIRC I have
one DLE that I need to turn it off for, I was testing someones
statement about it and forgot I'd left it on.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: