Amanda-Users

Re: Has anyone ever compressed real data that much???

2003-04-08 12:57:52
Subject: Re: Has anyone ever compressed real data that much???
From: Dave Ewart <Dave.Ewart AT cancer.org DOT uk>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 16:38:36 +0100
On Tuesday, 08.04.2003 at 10:49 -0400, Bort, Paul wrote:

> SQL database dumps can compress as much as 4:1 or 5:1. My Linux log
> files get about 2:1, IIRC. A 'normal' mix of data and programs around
> here compresses at about 1.6:1.
>
> 2.6:1 is outrageous as a general claim. I always thought the 'industry
> standard' 2:1 claim was bogus too.

_Any_ claim of a particular compression rate of X to 1 is bogus, if X is
greater than 1, since the data _you_ happen to be backing up may not be
compressible at all.

Unless, or until, there is a standard set of data against which _all_
vendors' claims are based, the claimed compression rates they throw
around may as well be ignored.

Dave.
--
Dave Ewart