Amanda-Users

Re: SMB backups of windows boxes

2003-04-08 13:55:31
Subject: Re: SMB backups of windows boxes
From: Laas Toom <laas AT haldjas.folklore DOT ee>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 19:29:27 +0300 (EEST)

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Tom Brown wrote:

> > > Maybe helps:
> > >
> > > mt [-f tapedev] rewind
> > >
> > > (this rewinds the tape). I think i got the "WARNING: not at start of
> tape"
> > > error, when i used norewind tapedevice and forgot to rewind it.
> > >
> > > Laas
> > >

> Hi,
>
> Seems i posted the wrong error! I just tried a restore now and this is
> exactly what i get, apart from machine names......
>
> -- snip --
> amrestore:  27: skipping xxxxxxx._dev_rd_c0d0p5.20030402.1
> amrestore:  28: skipping xxxxxxx._dev_sda1.20030402.1
> amrestore:  29: skipping xxxxxxx._dev_rd_c0d0p5.20030402.1
> amrestore:  30: restoring xxxxx.__xxxxx_web__stage.20030402.1
> restore: Tape is not a dump tape
> Error 32 (Broken pipe) offset 32768+32768, wrote 0
> amrestore: pipe reader has quit in middle of file.
> amrestore: skipping ahead to start of next file, please wait...
>
> and then it exits to the shell

This looks familiar to me.

Once i had this kind of error. just restore denies that the backup is done
with dump, though it really was.

I did this:

(i saw, that the file you need is 30th on the tape)

$mt -f norewind-tapedev fsf 30
$dd if=norewind-tapedev bs=32k of=/direcory/with/lotsof/room/bigfile

now
$cd /directory/with/lotsof/room
$dd if=bigfile bs=32k count=1

(this outputs the amanda header, where is written with what you need to
restore the backup with).

$amrestore bigfile
(this outputs a file, similar to machine.usr.20030312.0)

(lets say you need to restore with RESTORE):
$restore -x -f machine.usr.20030312.0
(this restores all of the files in the dump to the current directory. See
restore(8) for other options, -i for example)

If the last 'dd'-phrase states that you need to restore with TAR, then
most (if not all) of this text is worthless to you and you just have to
replace the 'restore' part with appropriate 'tar' part in your restore
command.

To others - can anyone explain me, how is this possible that restore
woulnd't accept file amrestored from tape, but accepted the file
amrestored from a file read from tape with dd (they should be the same
IMHO).

Laas Toom