Amanda-Users

Has anyone ever compressed real data that much???

2003-04-08 10:23:02
Subject: Has anyone ever compressed real data that much???
From: Toralf Lund <toralf AT procaptura DOT com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 14:55:04 +0200
A question a bit on the side:

I've been looking for a new drive or autoloader, and I notice that some vendors now assume a hardware compression ratio of 2.6:1 in their advertising material. Which leads me to the question in the subject; has anyone ever compressed real data that much? Or even achieved a ratio of 2:1, which is also frequently assumed? (In conjunction with backups, that is.) The best I've done with Amanda is about 1.8:1, but that's for software compression, of course.
--
- Toralf