Amanda-Users

Re: Strange problems backing up Windows users with Samba

2003-04-08 13:46:34
Subject: Re: Strange problems backing up Windows users with Samba
From: "System Arkitekt" <sysark AT swipnet DOT se>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 18:18:25 +0200
On Sun Apr 6, 2003  4:12 am Tom Murphy <tdmlinux4@y...> wrote
> --- Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@v...> wrote:
>> On Thu April 3 2003 13:18, Tom Murphy wrote:
>>>? Call timed out: server did not respond after 20000
>>>milliseconds opening remote file
>>>etc..
>> Just off the top of my head, if its timing out with
>> a 20 second
>> timeout, thats looking like an access permissions

> chkdsk was run on the disks, and the ntfs file
> permissions checked out. (The backup user used to
> connect is an administrator of the windows machine.)

I have a similar problem and can possibly add som info
Amanda 2.4.2p2, Samba 2.2.7, RH8.0, Win95 OSR2

Backing up other Linux boxes on the network works OK
Backing up a windows share according to the book gives a number
of errors
=================
? Error reading file
\FILES\PMAIL\GFOLDR\OpenSoft.mai\1C55D1E3.CNR : Call timed
out: server did not respond after 20000 milliseconds
? Call timed out: server did not respond after 20000 milliseconds
opening remote file
\FILES\PMAIL\GFOLDR\OpenSoft.mai\3F12A4B1.CNR
(\FILES\PMAIL\GFOLDR\OpenSoft.mai\)
? Call timed out: server did not respond after 20000 milliseconds
listing \FILES\PMAIL\GFOLDR\UML.mai\*
=================

On this run, there were 22 such errors x 20 seconds = 7 min 20
seconds. The total dump time according to Amanda was 10 minutes
and running the smbclient command by hand takes about 9 minutes.
I doubt that amanda has been hanging around waiting for these 20
second timeouts, so I believe the error message is misleading.

Exactly which files give the errors varies between runs. In this
case, all folders after the last one listed gave the same error,
meaning that the dump did not include quite a few files..

I have run the smbclient command "by hand" and produced a valid
tar and an index from it, with all files present and seemingly correct.

Of about 810 Meg on the disk, my three attempts have resulted in
dumps containing (original size) of 286MB, 675MB and 689MB.
Number of files + folders is 18626. The amdump runs gave 8145,
15620 and 16960 files, while the manual smbclient gave the correct
figure.

There are non-US characters in the file names being dumped, but
on at least one of the runs, none of the files or folders that gave
problems had such characters.

Two other shares on the same machine seem to have worked OK,
giving reasonable sizes and file counts. These shares also contain
files with names containing national characters, and they appear to
have been dumped successfully.

I have also tested dumping a Win2K disk. It dumped most files
except a few sharing violations and 54
"? NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND opening remote
file". All these files seem to have national (high ASCII) characters in
their file names. As far as I can see, no other files having such file
names have been correctly dumped.

These may be different problems and the national character issues
may be a red herring, but I would be grateful for some help.

Regards
/Mike Evans

sysark AT swipnet DOT se