Amanda-Users

Re: Strange problems backing up Windows users with Samba

2003-04-10 05:01:41
Subject: Re: Strange problems backing up Windows users with Samba
From: oops monitor <monitor AT oops.co DOT at>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 09:00:11 +0200
Hi, Mike,

on Dienstag, 8. April 2003 at 18:18 you wrote to amanda-users:

SA> I have a similar problem and can possibly add som info
SA> Amanda 2.4.2p2, Samba 2.2.7, RH8.0, Win95 OSR2

SA> Backing up other Linux boxes on the network works OK
SA> Backing up a windows share according to the book gives a number
SA> of errors
SA> =================
SA> ? Error reading file
SA> \FILES\PMAIL\GFOLDR\OpenSoft.mai\1C55D1E3.CNR : Call timed
SA> out: server did not respond after 20000 milliseconds
SA> ? Call timed out: server did not respond after 20000 milliseconds
SA> opening remote file
SA> \FILES\PMAIL\GFOLDR\OpenSoft.mai\3F12A4B1.CNR
SA> (\FILES\PMAIL\GFOLDR\OpenSoft.mai\)
SA> ? Call timed out: server did not respond after 20000 milliseconds
SA> listing \FILES\PMAIL\GFOLDR\UML.mai\*
SA> =================

SA> On this run, there were 22 such errors x 20 seconds = 7 min 20
SA> seconds. The total dump time according to Amanda was 10 minutes
SA> and running the smbclient command by hand takes about 9 minutes.
SA> I doubt that amanda has been hanging around waiting for these 20
SA> second timeouts, so I believe the error message is misleading.

SA> Exactly which files give the errors varies between runs. In this
SA> case, all folders after the last one listed gave the same error,
SA> meaning that the dump did not include quite a few files..

To me it seems as if afte the first "Call timed out ..."-message the
whole process kind of hangs. As if the following errors are just
triggered by the same circumstances as the first because something is
not reset or so. I am too less of a programmer to find that out, all I
know is that the error message comes from Samba, not from Amanda.

The message can be found in the /source/libsmb/clierr.c in the Samba
sources. It seems to result from a r/w-Problem on the windows-share.
But after a successful chkdsk that seems to come from somewhere else.

SA> I have run the smbclient command "by hand" and produced a valid
SA> tar and an index from it, with all files present and seemingly correct.

SA> Of about 810 Meg on the disk, my three attempts have resulted in
SA> dumps containing (original size) of 286MB, 675MB and 689MB.
SA> Number of files + folders is 18626. The amdump runs gave 8145,
SA> 15620 and 16960 files, while the manual smbclient gave the correct
SA> figure.

SA> There are non-US characters in the file names being dumped, but
SA> on at least one of the runs, none of the files or folders that gave
SA> problems had such characters.

SA> Two other shares on the same machine seem to have worked OK,
SA> giving reasonable sizes and file counts. These shares also contain
SA> files with names containing national characters, and they appear to
SA> have been dumped successfully.

Do you have configured your samba to use some special "character set"
or "code page" ? (This definitely does not belong to amanda-users
anymore ...)

SA> I have also tested dumping a Win2K disk. It dumped most files
SA> except a few sharing violations and 54
SA> "? NT_STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND opening remote
SA> file". All these files seem to have national (high ASCII) characters in
SA> their file names. As far as I can see, no other files having such file
SA> names have been correctly dumped.

I am tarring NT4-boxes. The sharing violations have to happen because
Windows locks some files. I get them, too.

SA> These may be different problems and the national character issues
SA> may be a red herring, but I would be grateful for some help.

I donŽt know if the national characters give the right trace. At my
former employer I used to backup several NT-boxes with german-style
filenames (I live in Austria) and I never had that problem. I donŽt
know if I cared about character sets at all ...

I changed the "character set" setting on the system with the "Call
timed out ..."-problem, changed nothing.

Maybe we should post our problem to samba-technical, I already posted
on samba AT lists.samba DOT org twice but never found the solution.

--
best regards,
Stefan

oops monitor