Amanda-Users

Re: Backup of ACLs

2003-04-03 11:47:13
Subject: Re: Backup of ACLs
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Dalton Hubert <dalton AT utanet DOT at>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 09:16:47 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 at 1:15pm, Dalton Hubert wrote

> we are thinking about using ACLs (extended attributes and access control
> lists)
> on our file server, of which we make a full backup by using Amanda every
> night.
>
> So my question concerning the backup is:
> Can Amanda also backup ACLs?

Amanda doesn't do backups.  Amanda *schedules* backups.  Amanda uses
another program (a dump, or GNUtar) to actually do the backups.

> Do i have to change something in my configuration?

Well, since we don't know what your config is now...

> I have heard something about star, is this really necessary or can i use tar?

tar won't get ACLs.  An FS specific dump program probably will.

> If i must use star instead of tar, where i must configure this?
> (which entry in which file?)

I don't know if star is drop-in replaceable for tar.  ISTR that it only
does one level of incrementals, which amanda won't like if it needs to
bump some backups.

> Any experiences with ACL in combination with Amanda?

I just started using ACLs on one of my Linux servers using XFS.  The
partition is too large for a tape, so I can't use xfsdump (which will get
the ACLs).   What I do is have cron run '/usr/bin/getfacl -R $DIR' on the
$DIR in which I'm using ACLs.  I dump the output of that somewhere else on
disk that gets backed up.  If I have to restore that $DIR, I can just run
'setfacl -R' on the directory after I restore it from tape.

It may not be elegant, but it's what I came up with.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering