Amanda-Users

Re: Backup of ACLs

2003-04-03 11:39:39
Subject: Re: Backup of ACLs
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 10:02:33 -0500
On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 01:15:32PM +0200, Dalton Hubert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are thinking about using ACLs (extended attributes and access control
> lists) on our file server, of which we make a full backup by using Amanda
> every night.
>
> So my question concerning the backup is:
> Can Amanda also backup ACLs?

The problem with your question is that amanda doesn't backup anything.
It manages backups done by other programs.  The common programs are
gnutar and the OS's file system dump program.  The question then becomes
can the backup program you choose save and restore ACL's.  Best way to
answer that is to read the local documentation and run a test backup and
recovery.  Amanda is not needed to check this out.

> Do i have to change something in my configuration?
>
> I have heard something about star, is this really necessary or can i use
> tar?
>
> If i must use star instead of tar, where i must configure this?
> (which entry in which file?)

During configuration and build of amanda you specify what program is your
"gnutar".
If you point it at star, amanda will try to use it.  But beware that amanda will
think it is gnutar and use gnutar options.  They may, or may not, be the same
for star.

BTW what's star?

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)