Amanda-Users

Re: Backup of ACLs

2003-04-03 18:38:05
Subject: Re: Backup of ACLs
From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 17:21:39 -0500
On Thu April 3 2003 10:02, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 01:15:32PM +0200, Dalton Hubert wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> we are thinking about using ACLs (extended attributes and access
>> control lists) on our file server, of which we make a full
>> backup by using Amanda every night.
>>
>> So my question concerning the backup is:
>> Can Amanda also backup ACLs?
>
>The problem with your question is that amanda doesn't backup
> anything. It manages backups done by other programs.  The common
> programs are gnutar and the OS's file system dump program.  The
> question then becomes can the backup program you choose save and
> restore ACL's.  Best way to answer that is to read the local
> documentation and run a test backup and recovery.  Amanda is not
> needed to check this out.
>
>> Do i have to change something in my configuration?
>>
>> I have heard something about star, is this really necessary or
>> can i use tar?
>>
>> If i must use star instead of tar, where i must configure this?
>> (which entry in which file?)
>
>During configuration and build of amanda you specify what program
> is your "gnutar". If you point it at star, amanda will try to use
> it.  But beware that amanda will think it is gnutar and use
> gnutar options.  They may, or may not, be the same for star.
>
>BTW what's star?

STar is Jeorg Schilling's *posix* compliant tar replacement.
'Schillings Tar' in other words.  I believe it has additional
features over and above gnutar, but thats just from reading the
"press releases" :-)

But like others, I've not tried to use it with amanda, so I have NDI
if its gnutar compatible or not.  Thats the same Schilling (or is
it Schilly?  Alzheimers strikes again) that is much more famous as
the author of the CD-RW toolbox and its ancilliary utilities such
as cdrecord and others in that family.  His code should be as solid
as it comes, but absolute compatibility questions have neither been
asked very often here, nor answered here.  Such questions in my
observations, seem to be ignored.  Lack of knowledge, or something
actually wrong with it, I have no clue.

However, I believe there is a flag you can set on its command line
that makes it 100% gnutar compatible.  Do a search on freshmeat for
more details.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
by Gene Heskett are: