Amanda-Users

FreeBSD->Linux migration problem

2003-03-31 11:58:41
Subject: FreeBSD->Linux migration problem
From: Yura Pismerov <ypismerov AT tucows DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 10:35:40 -0500
Did anybody migrate Amanda server from FreeBSD to Linux ?
I can't read old tapes (that were written on FreeBSD).

If I load a tape with amtape:

amtape: could not rewind Input/output error: tape_rewind: tape open:
Input/output error: No such file or directoryamtape: changed to slot
/dev/nst1: on Input/output error

If I try to read the tape with dd:

[backup@storage amanda]$ dd if=/dev/nst1 bs=32k count=1
dd: reading `/dev/nst1': Input/output error
0+0 records in
0+0 records out

If I try mt status:

[backup@storage scripts]$ mt -f /dev/nst1 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 512 bytes. Density code 0x31 (AIT-2).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (41010000):
 BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

What is wrong ? Does Linux handle tapes differently ?
The only way I could get it to work is re-label (amlabel).
Does it mean that I can't read tapes that were written on FreeBSD system
?