Amanda-Users

Re: 'not an Amanda tape' after FreeBSD upgrade

2003-03-27 07:26:19
Subject: Re: 'not an Amanda tape' after FreeBSD upgrade
From: Gerhard den Hollander <gerhard AT jasongeo DOT com>
To: Toomas Aas <toomas.aas AT raad.tartu DOT ee>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 12:05:04 +0100
* Toomas Aas <toomas.aas AT raad.tartu DOT ee> (Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 11:15:52AM
+0200)
> Hello!
>
> My Amanda server is running 2.4.3b4. Three days ago I upgraded the
> operating system from FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE-p6 to 4.7-RELEASE-p9. This is
> really just some security patches to sendmail, libc and openssl. Since
> the upgrade Amanda thinks that all the backup tapes that were written
> before the upgrade are "not Amanda tapes".
>
> After I re-label the tape, Amanda agrees to write the backup to it and
> also I can successfully amrestore it later. But it seems that, should
> the need arise to restore from a pre-upgrade tape, I would be in
> trouble because those tapes are 'not Amanda tapes'. I suppose I could
> still read the dump images with dd, though?
>
> Over the last couple of years I've done many OS upgrades on this Amanda
> server and this is the first time I see such problem. Has anyone else
> seen it?

IIRC amanda checks the tapelabel by basically doing
dd if=/dev/tape bs=32k count=1

If you do this manually, what comes back ?

It sounds like some default setting for your tapedevice has changed.

Kind regards,
 --
Gerhard den Hollander                           Phone :+31-10.280.1515
Global IT Support manager                       Direct:+31-10.280.1539

      This e-mail and any attachment is/are intended solely for the named
  addressee(s) and may contain information that is confidential and privileged.
       If you are not the intended recipient, we request that you do not
         disseminate, forward, distribute or copy this e-mail message.
      If you have received this e-mail message in error, please notify us
           immediately by telephone and destroy the original message.