Amanda-Users

'not an Amanda tape' after FreeBSD upgrade

2003-03-27 05:49:51
Subject: 'not an Amanda tape' after FreeBSD upgrade
From: "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas AT raad.tartu DOT ee>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 11:15:52 +0200
Hello!

My Amanda server is running 2.4.3b4. Three days ago I upgraded the
operating system from FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE-p6 to 4.7-RELEASE-p9. This is
really just some security patches to sendmail, libc and openssl. Since
the upgrade Amanda thinks that all the backup tapes that were written
before the upgrade are "not Amanda tapes".

After I re-label the tape, Amanda agrees to write the backup to it and
also I can successfully amrestore it later. But it seems that, should
the need arise to restore from a pre-upgrade tape, I would be in
trouble because those tapes are 'not Amanda tapes'. I suppose I could
still read the dump images with dd, though?

Over the last couple of years I've done many OS upgrades on this Amanda
server and this is the first time I see such problem. Has anyone else
seen it?
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas AT raad.tartu DOT ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* It's always darkest right before you step on the cat.