Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover tar error.

2003-03-23 15:53:49
Subject: Re: amrecover tar error.
From: Vytas Janusauskas <vytas AT dendron DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 14:11:01 -0500
Hi Paul,

At 01:48 AM 3/18/03 +0100, Paul Bijnens wrote:
Op ma 17-03-2003, om 18:05 schreef Vytas Janusauskas:
> I am trying to restore a Windows 95 directory to an NT drive connected via
> Samba and get the following error.
>
> /1895-102.tif
> ./1895-103.tif

Does this mean that it restored 1 file?

Yes , that is correct.

> tar: Skipping to next header
> tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers

What command did you use exactly?

amrecover Project  as root
setdisk ....
add *
extract
quit

Testing with a re-run of the same data set restored correctly. So the cause of the restore failure is still a mystery to me. I will keep check the backup to ensure that they are in fact restorable.

What is the amanda headerblock suggesting as command?
Typically these are errors of a corrupted tarfile, and sometimes
simply of trying to extract a gzipped tar file without the -z option.

> Tape drive being used is Eliant 820 drive with the following definition
>
> define tapetype Eliant 820 {
>      comment "Exabyte Eliant 820 drive"
>      length 7 gb
>      filemark 48 kbytes
>      speed 1 mb
> }

As far as I can understand the tapetype here is completely irrelevant.

I agree I just put it in for completeness.

> Tar version is : tar (GNU tar) 1.13.25
> Amanda version is: 2.4.2p2
> Disklist entry is:  backup /dosworld/pent17/e/Colorado10 comp-user-tar

So you have the share smbmounted on a Unix computer named "backup".
Why not using smbclient, as builtin in Amanda?  At least you
can do level 1 incrementals (or maybe even more, I didn't check
in the latest amanda sources.)

The reason for mounting the drive as opposed to using smbclient is that the directories I am backing up are completed project which are to be removed from the Windows boxes. Instead of creating temporary shares to these directories I just mount them and then archive the required directories. Once I have all the project directories archived I verify the data via restore to temporary directories and then comment out the project directories from the disklist. This allows me to archive the projects and then use Amanda's index files to locate and restore the archived if ever required. If anyone has a better procedure for archiving Windows completed project directories I am all ears.

Vytas

Vytas Janusauskas
Dendron Resource Surveys Inc.
880 Lady Ellen Place,  Suite 206