Amanda-Users

Re: recovery problme using amrestore

2003-03-17 05:37:13
Subject: Re: recovery problme using amrestore
From: Laas Toom <laas AT haldjas.folklore DOT ee>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 10:51:34 +0200 (EET)

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Jon LaBadie wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 10:26:14AM +0530, T. Bhaskar Reddy wrote:
> >
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I am using amanda 2.4.4. Using  amanda i have dumped a directory on
> > localhost. While i am trying restore it displays the following  message
> > " amrestore:   0: restoring localhost._home_amanda_QA.20030315.0 "
> > the commanda i executed is
> >
> > /usr/local/sbin/amrestore  00001.localhost._home_amanda_QA.0

afaik this is all correct. Try:
# file <restored_filename>
(where restored_filename is the name of the file that is created during
the
first command.)
this should tell you the type of the dump. and from that you can figure
out
the command, to complete the restore. (That is wether to use restore or
tar).
Amanda can dump filesystems with either 'dump' or 'tar' (dependig on your
conf). the filename looks the same, because it reflects only the
filesystem
name, dumpdate and dumplevel.
(My amanda.conf says it uses 'dump' for 'always-full' dumptype.)

if 'file' says, it is tar archive, then use:
# tar xvf <restored_filename>

and if file says it is dump archive (or smth), use:
# restore <restored_filename>

NOTE:
Both of these commands should extract the contents to the working
directory
(therefore it is wise to do it in an empty directory or at the root of the
filesystem that is being restored).

See also:
amrecover - this is interactive util to recover single files from dumps
(everithing is done automatically, you only have to load tapes - so in
your
case you only have to hit enter or smth)

--
laaz