Amanda-Users

Re: Fw: Error while running amcheck/amdump

2003-03-17 10:25:25
Subject: Re: Fw: Error while running amcheck/amdump
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: Madhvi Gokool <madhvin AT yahoo DOT com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:33:57 +0100
Madhvi Gokool wrote:
The /dev/hda6 mountpoint is /
I have added the mount point to the disklist file . The dumptype was set to
tar and then dump. amcheck detected no errors on the client host.
When amdump was run , a level 0 dump was done on /dev/hda6 ( as seen in
/etc/dumpdates).

So, you mean, you have a configuration that works?

If I put back hda6 in the disklist, amcheck gives me the same error reported
below.
Why can't /dev/hda6 be backed up ??? A manual dump of the latter on the
client works.

If you specify a diskdevice instead of a mount point,
and you are using gnutar to backup, than amanda has to
convert the diskdevice into a directory mount point.
The way to do this is very system specific, and on
Linux it uses (maybe?) /proc/mounts to do the conversion.
See the twisty maze of passages, all alike, in
client-srv/getfsent.c.

Where is the disk mounted according to "cat /proc/mounts"?
My / is mounted on /dev/root, and indeed, /dev/root
does not even exist!?  (Maybe we found a bug in the
implementation in getfsent.c, but with an easy workaround.)

As I already said, if you are using gnutar, (and
even if you use DUMP), personally, I find it easier to
specify the directory mount points instead of the disk
devices, like:

osama.dom.ain      /        always-full
osama.dom.ain      /boot    always-full
osama.dom.ain      /usr     always-full