Amanda-Users

Re: tapes are doomed

2003-03-13 13:15:20
Subject: Re: tapes are doomed
From: barryc <barryc AT rjlsystems DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 11:34:55 -0500 (EST)
While I am more than willing to grant that tapes are a LOT more durable than
powered-down IDE drives, I'd still tend to frown on people tossing backups of
critical information across the room.

Before I decided to go with a DDS-3 system, I looked long and hard at going the
backup-to-disk path.  What finally sold me was the fact that DDS-3 tapes can be
had for ~$5/ea if you know where to look. (and buy by the box)

I don't have much data to back up (probably less than 50GB atm) and spreading a
full backup across 5 tapes appeals to me.

A number of companies make removable hard-drive racks with IDE-to-USB2.0
bridges
built-in.  One example is http://www.enhance-tech.com/products/ER4610UA.html .
(NOTE: no affiliation.  That's just the first example I stumbled across via a
quick google.  There's also people selling similar systems on Ebay)

If your backup system supports USB, you can insert the drive while your system
is running, turn the drive on (via the key), mount it, do your backup, unmount
the drive, turn it off, and then remove it and put it in storage.