Amanda-Users

Re: tapes are doomed

2003-03-13 19:05:41
Subject: Re: tapes are doomed
From: Adam Smith <adam.smith AT sageautomation DOT com>
To: tobias.bluhm AT philips DOT com
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 09:08:47 +1030
On Thu, Mar 13, 2003 at 08:58:58AM -0500, tobias.bluhm AT philips DOT com said:
> "wab" <wab AT purdue DOT edu> wrote
> >Case in point... My department just approved the purchase of a $4,500
> >Iomega NAS server, to replace our NT and Unix tape backup DLT drives. I
> >will soon be facilitating the use of AMANDA to a NAS server Vs. a SCSI
> >DLT Tape. I look forward to the challenge/opportunity!
>

> So what happens when your NAS goes haywire & scribbles all over your
> backups? Or say a small meteor crashes through your roof & wipes out your
> live disks & backup disks?

That's right.  Nothing, nothing can beat tape at the moment, and that's why
we still use it.  Why?  Because for the $ per megabyte, nothing can beat
it.  I've got over a terrabyte in combined tape storage (uncompressed) over
my two week rotation, and that gives me the flexibility to go backwards in
time to anywhere within the last two weeks, or to any of my monthly
archived backups.

Does your NAS server let you go back in time more than one day?  If so, why
would you spend more money on a NAS server than you would on your main file
server?  Seems a little backward to me.

> Not trying to tell anyone what to do. I guess I just don't understand the
> "we don't need no tape" attitude some folks have.

Me either.

--
Adam Smith
Information Technology Officer