Amanda-Users

Disklist format

2003-03-13 13:53:22
Subject: Disklist format
From: "Robert Hazbun" <rhazbu01 AT shadow DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 12:23:14 -0500
Hello,

I've been attempting to set up Amanda 2.4.4 on my system and have run into some
problems.

As you all know, amanda cannot span large filesystems across multiple tapes.
The
typical work around is to segment the disklist entries so that amanda can back
up the
large file system in parts.

Furthermore, sometime around March of 2002, Jean Louis Martineau, one of the
amanda developers came up with a new way of doing this that makes it much
simpler for a user to segment a filesystem into pieces. Below is an example
disklist
entry taken from the examples/disklist file:

# An example of how to separate a big disk (/diskA) in multiple smaller entry
# using GNUTAR.
# I suggest to always use the diskdevice in the diskname.
# Don't forget to use the same spindle for all entry.
hosta /diskA/all /diskA {
        # all directories except the one that start with [a-u]
        high-tar
        exclude "./[a-u]*"
        } 1
hosta /diskA/ag /diskA {
        # all directories that start with [a-g] except big1 and big2
        high-tar
        include "./[a-g]*"
        exclude "./big1" "./big2"
        } 1

As you can see, this is *very* useful.

Anyway, my problem is that I am doing just this, but am running into the
following
error:

  pantera    /home/depot-wz lev 0 FAILED [missing result for /home/depot-wz in
pantera response]
  pantera    /home/depot-sv lev 0 FAILED [missing result for /home/depot-sv in
pantera response]
  pantera    /home/depot-mr lev 0 FAILED [missing result for /home/depot-mr in
pantera response]
  pantera    /home/depot-gl lev 0 FAILED [missing result for /home/depot-gl in
pantera response]
  pantera    /home/depot-af lev 0 FAILED [missing result for /home/depot-af in
pantera response]

Upon looking in the amanda source to attempt to find out what's wrong, I found
out
that the planner did not receive a size estimate for each entry from the
client. Why, I
don't know, and hence the question I'm asking.

Below are the corresponding entries in the 'disklist' file for my box. The
boxes name
is pantera ( I'm a car nut ).

pantera /home/depot-af /home/depot {
        hard-disk-tar
        include "./[Aa-Ff]*"
        } 1

pantera /home/depot-gl /home/depot {
        hard-disk-tar
        include "./[Gg-Ll]*"
        } 1

pantera /home/depot-mr /home/depot {
        hard-disk-tar
        include "./[Mm-Rr]*"
        } 1

pantera /home/depot-sv /home/depot {
        hard-disk-tar
        include "./[Ss-Vv]*"
        } 1

pantera /home/depot-wz /home/depot {
        hard-disk-tar
        include "./[Ww-Zz]*"
        } 1

I would really appreciate any help offered.

Thank You.

Robert Hazbun
rhazbu01 AT shadow DOT net