Amanda-Users

Re: Problem with using include list on 2.4.3-FreeBSD server with 2.4.4b1-Cygwin client

2003-02-18 23:26:14
Subject: Re: Problem with using include list on 2.4.3-FreeBSD server with 2.4.4b1-Cygwin client
From: Jean-Louis Martineau <martinea AT IRO.UMontreal DOT CA>
To: Richard Morse <remorse AT partners DOT org>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 21:49:48 -0500
On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 12:16:16PM -0500, Richard Morse wrote:
> Hi!  I realize that it's bad form to follow-up to yourself, but nobody
> else seems to be, so...
> On Friday, February 14, 2003, at 11:26  AM, Richard Morse wrote:
>
> >Hi!  I have a 2.4.4b1 client, compiled on Cygwin.  I'd like to use the
> >"include list" feature, so I upgraded my server from 2.4.2p2 to 2.4.3.
> > I have another cygwin client that works, without using the include
> >list feature.
> >
> >When I run amcheck, I get back the error "[include must be at least 3
> >character long: ]" and "[No incude for /cygdrive/c]" from the host
> >which I'm trying to use the include list on.  I did let this host run
> >one night as backup, and it generated 10 bytes of data for the tape,
> >which is a problem, as this was a new disk, and there's more than 10
> >bytes of data to be backed up.
> >

> As it turns out, the two error messages are coming from different
> sources.
>
> The first one ("[include must be at least 3 character long: ]" is
> because there is [was] a blank line at the end of the include file.  I
> usually put one extra newline at the end of a file so that I can easily
> add things to the end, and for aesthetic reasons.  Although this isn't
> really a bug, blank lines should probably be skipped when reading the
> file.
>
> The second error is more worrisome to me.  In my .amanda-gtar-includes
> file, I had the line:
>       ./Documents and Settings/jad47
>
> Apparently, add_include only iterates over the directories at the root
> of the drive (which makes sense), but therefore, it won't find anything
> that matches this include: it never checks any deeper into the
> hierarchy than one level, so when it iterates over "Document and
> Settings", it doesn't match, because "Documents and Settings" doesn't
> match the regex "Documents and Settings/jad47".

I sent a patch for that on amanda-users (6 Jan 2003) but nobody has
confirmed that it worked so it was never commited to cvs. The patch
is included if you want to try it.

> The thing is, I don't want to back up all the data in "Documents and
> Settings", just the stuff in the user folder.  However, I want to back
> up other stuff that's at the root level (ie, at /cygdrive/c), so I
> don't really want to make my disklist entry be "/cygdrive/c/docume~1",
> and have to put another entry for "/cygdrive/c".
>
> Is there any solution?  (Well, I know that there probably isn't in this
> version, but is it possible to make the add_include handle directories
> several levels deep?)
>
> Also, is it possible to pass both include _and_ exclude lists to tar?
> So I could tell it to back up "./Documents and Settings", but exclude
> "./Documents and Settings/Administrator"?  (Which, actually, would be
> useful just in general so I can exclude browser caches...)

That should works.

Jean-Louis
--
Jean-Louis Martineau             email: martineau AT IRO.UMontreal DOT CA
Departement IRO, Universite de Montreal