Amanda-Users

Re: Problem with using include list on 2.4.3-FreeBSD server with 2.4.4b1-Cygwin client

2003-02-18 13:40:49
Subject: Re: Problem with using include list on 2.4.3-FreeBSD server with 2.4.4b1-Cygwin client
From: Richard Morse <remorse AT partners DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 12:16:16 -0500
Hi! I realize that it's bad form to follow-up to yourself, but nobody else seems to be, so...
On Friday, February 14, 2003, at 11:26  AM, Richard Morse wrote:

Hi! I have a 2.4.4b1 client, compiled on Cygwin. I'd like to use the "include list" feature, so I upgraded my server from 2.4.2p2 to 2.4.3. I have another cygwin client that works, without using the include list feature.

When I run amcheck, I get back the error "[include must be at least 3 character long: ]" and "[No incude for /cygdrive/c]" from the host which I'm trying to use the include list on. I did let this host run one night as backup, and it generated 10 bytes of data for the tape, which is a problem, as this was a new disk, and there's more than 10 bytes of data to be backed up.

As it turns out, the two error messages are coming from different sources.

The first one ("[include must be at least 3 character long: ]" is because there is [was] a blank line at the end of the include file. I usually put one extra newline at the end of a file so that I can easily add things to the end, and for aesthetic reasons. Although this isn't really a bug, blank lines should probably be skipped when reading the file.

The second error is more worrisome to me. In my .amanda-gtar-includes file, I had the line:
        ./Documents and Settings/jad47

Apparently, add_include only iterates over the directories at the root of the drive (which makes sense), but therefore, it won't find anything that matches this include: it never checks any deeper into the hierarchy than one level, so when it iterates over "Document and Settings", it doesn't match, because "Documents and Settings" doesn't match the regex "Documents and Settings/jad47".

The thing is, I don't want to back up all the data in "Documents and Settings", just the stuff in the user folder. However, I want to back up other stuff that's at the root level (ie, at /cygdrive/c), so I don't really want to make my disklist entry be "/cygdrive/c/docume~1", and have to put another entry for "/cygdrive/c".

Is there any solution? (Well, I know that there probably isn't in this version, but is it possible to make the add_include handle directories several levels deep?)

Also, is it possible to pass both include _and_ exclude lists to tar? So I could tell it to back up "./Documents and Settings", but exclude "./Documents and Settings/Administrator"? (Which, actually, would be useful just in general so I can exclude browser caches...)

Thanks,
Ricky Morse